1. Go into a boutique with an objective that you can clearly explain to a sales associate (Know what you are missing in your wardrobe): “I would like to find casual summer dresses.” OR “I need to upgrade my jeans and t-shirt look.” OR “I have this tunic at home and I don’t know how to wear it.”
2. If you are shopping for lots of pieces, do a closet assessment first. Do you need dressier pieces? Do you need more color? Do you need “wardrobe fixers” like layering tanks are top layers like cardigans? Do you need more bottoms or tops?
3. Be open to a style that is outside your comfort zone. It may look great on you. Sales associates dress people all day long. If they say a skirt has a great fit, or that a certain top is a best-seller, give it a chance!
4. It never hurts to try something on in the fitting room.
5. Listen to sales associates suggestion on how clothing should fit. Often customers are wearing clothing that is too big for them and they have never been told to size down.
6. Try at least one fashion trend per season. These are wardrobe up-daters! Great trends for spring: colored denim; white denim; sheer tops worn over tanks; tops with mixed fabrics; colorful graphic print; bright pops of color like cobalt, orange, or red; maxi dresses; high-low skirts and dresses. Find the trends you are comfortable and that look great on you!